As parents it is our natural instinct to protect our children. There are several was that we defend and guard them from attack, invasion, loss, annoyance or insult of their biggest enemy: the devil who seeks to devour them. We should and do cover them from his attacks while teaching them the Christian way of fighting and handling danger. Here are 5 Ways to Teach our Children to Protect Themselves and fight in the holy ghost:
1) Try not expose them to topics or things before their time: no adult films, don’t speak fowl language or talk negatively around/to them, share uplifting and fun social media with them. We must feed their minds Godly positive things so that they may walk in peace for blessed are peace makers, they will be called children of God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard their hearts and their minds in Christ Jesus.
2) Teach them to pray daily, study the word of God and give of their time, treasure and talent to God. Therefore show them how to put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, they may be able to stand their ground, and after they’ve done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around their waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with their feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which they can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.
3) Encourage them not to look for or take the easy way out of tempting situations. When faced with challenging situations pray to God for answers, seek wise counsel and step out on faith. Allowing them to submit themselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from them. Tell them that there is and will be no temptation that has overtaken them except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let them be tempted beyond what they can bear. But when they are tempted he will also provide a way out so that they can endure it.
4) Train them to meditate and memorize scripture for bodily discipline is only of little profit, but godliness is profitable for all things, since it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come. Pray that they hide God’s word in their heart that they might not sin against Him.
5) Show them how to practice gratitude and praise to our Lord, Jesus Christ. They can worship him through prayer, giving and song. We should together rejoice that their names are written in the book of heaven: in this and all things we should give thanks.
These principles can be taught to any and all ages and cultivated over time. We must be willing to put in the time as we teach them to protect themselves. As we pour and plant the word of God we trust him to provide the increase.